I’m so excited for this season’s engagement sessions!! Deciding what to wear can be overwhelming.. don’t worry, I’m here to help! Below you’ll my spring/summer engagement session outfit guide including in-depth tips on what colors to choose, what types of outfits, how best to match you and your fiancé’s looks, etc!
First up – what’s absolutely most important is that you wear something that you are comfortable and confident in! When you feel amazing, it shows.
How many outfits should you plan? And how should they differ?
I always recommend 2 outfits! It usually works best for one to be a bit more casual and for one to be more dressed up. However, you can totally do all fancy or all casual. You do YOU!! That’s most important! Both outfits don’t have to match, but you don’t want them to clash either. Just think of them flowing well 😉
Below are some of my favorite examples from past engagement sessions!
What makes these outfits work so well on camera? Here are a few spring/summer engagement session outfit guide tips and tricks for camera-ready looks!
- Think neutral tones and soft colors! These photograph best and are complimentary to my style of photography!
- Flowy dresses are AMAZING. Forever and always! Think of how something will look while you’re walking! Does it have movement? Movement looks beautiful on camera! Flowy dresses, skirts, etc are the way to go!! Does it twirl? If the answer is YES then you are golden!
- Stylish clothing is always the way to go! Dressing in layers would be a very quick way to change the look of an outfit without doing a full outfit change. 🙂 Have fun with shoes and accessories!!
- Don’t be afraid to add some extra POP to your outfit. Make it your own! I love me some funky white snakeskin boots (that might just be ME), hats, costume jewelry, vintage finds, etc!!
Men, when in doubt…go with a solid button down! Make sure your shirts are form fitting and not too big on you. Slim fit pants and shirts tend to look best and be the most flattering!
- Make sure your outfits are not see through and are wrinkle free. This is VERY important!
- Manicured nails. It’s best to keep your nails clean &/or polished for the session. Gotta get that ring shot!!
- Avoid REALLY bright and harsh colors. Bright intense colors seems fun, but they can reflect a that light onto your face and alter skin tones. You do not want this! Keep it muted, and avoid the neon and super strong colors.
- Shoot for ‘complimenting’ instead of ‘matching.’ Avoid being too overly ‘matchy’.
Avoid small + busy patterns on clothing. Do not be afraid of pattern, just think
of more muted patterns and ones that are larger + simple. The goal is to not look TOO busy 😉
Here are some muted color examples, all very complimentary to each other!
Now that you know the do’s and don’ts, here are some great options to consider! Below the gallery each suggested piece is linked.
For the girls
For the guys